Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Black versus Black

This is a stray thought I had while I was on the bus to work this morning. There's a bunch of characters that have the word "black" in their moniker: Black Panther, Black Cat, Black Goliath, Black Manta, Black Canary, Black Lightning, Black Widow, Black Orchid, Black Racer, Black Mamba... Now, something that struck me as a bit odd was this: if I split up the previous list of characters, I've got the following male ones:

Black Panther, Black Manta, Black Goliath, Black Lightning, Black Racer.

and the following female ones:

Black Cat, Black Canary, Black Widow, Black Orchid, Black Mamba.

The male ones all happen to be black men, whose powers are described in their nom de plume. The female ones though are all white women, most of which wear outfits involving black leather. While a notable black superheroine, Storm, isn't called "Black Storm". I find this strange (despite several exceptions, like the Black Knight, Blackbolt and Blackheart, none of whom are African-American), and I'm sure it says something about the way superhero writers work, but I couldn't say what that'd be.

I can say though that this made me think of my girlfriend's superheroine/-villainess name being "Black Sequoia", which would involve her having, oh, I dunno, growth powers or plant-related powers, it doesn't really matter, since it's all about the hot, sleek black leather anyway. I can't complain, really, now can I? ;)

I realize this was a pointless post, but then, to paraphrase a really great writer--"aren't they all?"

1 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe, good to hear you have a girlfriend sharing this kind of passion. :)

And we should be happy Storm isn't called "Black Storm", because then she'd probably clad in black leather and be more vigilante like, or even a villain...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home