Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The House Ad Fandango #1 - Thunderbolts


Now this is how you advertise a new series, to me. First, you create a nice backdrop (in this case, the heroes being shunted into the Franklinverse, increasing the need for a new superteam in the MU). Then, you gather a perfect creative team: Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagley are two of the best. Next, you tell your audience that there's "one team, one goal, one dark secret!" It's that last bit that intrigued me in particular. Not being as much of an internet afficionado yet back then, I didn't know there was a list circulating the net giving options as to what the big secret was, so I was happily surprised (stunned is a better word) when they revealed said secret right away (as relatively new as I was to superhero comics, I was pretty sure the secret wouldn't be the starting point--talk about your whoopsies!).

I love how the ad showcases all the characters, who I've always thought had great costumes (apart from maybe Atlas). Bagley did a great job of creating lots of diversity, lots of detail too, but all the same making them mesh together well. I'm particularly fond of the Songbird, Mach-1 and of course Citizen V designs. Citizen V especially is a true classic in my eyes.

Another great thing about this launch was that it was double-sized for only 3 bucks. Ah, days of yore... I don't think anyone back then had expected the Thunderbolts to still be around nearly 9 years later. Sure, they've been on hiatus for a bit, but not for too long. Nobody had expected for Fabian Nicieza to become the main caretaker of the 'Bolts, to boot, or how important Hawkeye would become.

All in all, I think this house ad just provides you with the right kind of vibe to check out the first issue. And as I will talk about another time, that first issue sure had a great hook to make you come back for the second! Last year's New Avengers #1 may have sold like hotcakes (relatively speaking anyway, in these dire times for comic book publishing) but Thunderbolts #1 is where it was at, baby!

3 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you are right, this is the right way to introduce a new series. The cover is great.

Hehe, and I like the slogan:

Justice Like Lightning.

And I think the current issues are pretty good. Especially if you don't only want Avengers all over.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Peter said...

You're right, I should've said something about their awesomely ironic byline :) It was a nice pun in its own right, with the Thunderbolts and lightning link, of course, but that only made the big reveal even more surprising (to me anyway).

Yeah, the current issues are definitely pretty good too, I'm really happy that the 'Bolts are back in their own title (as evidence in a post down below where I praise a recent issue to high heaven :D). That's twice now that some crappy event happened to the Avengers and that the Thunderbolts have proudly risen from those ashes. Now if only they'd get Hawkeye back...

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh i can very well do without Green Arro... what? What was that you said? Oh, Marvel Universe. Ofcourse. Sorry. Okay, start again:

Oh I can very well without Hawkeye in that team. I fear if he'd come back, he would go for leadership, and I think songbird is doing a wonderful job there. Besides, I don't like Gree.. I mean Hawkeye. I really don't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home